The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Monday, November 28, 2011

Original Slow Rocker Knockers

Writer Tony Russell described Smiley Lewis as the "unluckiest man in New Orleans" because Smiley was the artist who found the formula for "slow rocking, small band numbers" like "Blue Monday" and "I Hear You Knockin'" only to have Fats Domino come along and grab the whole gig. I like Fats' version and Gale Storm's pop version and Dave Edmunds' '70s cover of "I Hear You Knockin'" as well, but to me, the original by Smiley is the best. The tinkling boogie woogie piano and those droning saxes warm the cockles of my crusty old heart. Smiley, you died too young, man. We need you now.



Called by many the "father of rhythm and blues" Louis Jordan (below) is listed as #59 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists of all time.  If you're like me you probably thought Little Richard's 1957 cut of "Keep a Knockin'" was the first, but Louis' slower, less frenetic version came out in 1939 (and there are even earlier versions).

Man, I like this kind of stuff. I can see Joyce and me in one of those classy '30s movie-style night clubs drinking champagne and listening to a whole set of Jordan's pre war "jump blues."

4 comments:

  1. I need some low down Mississippi delta blues to go along with all of this rain we are having!
    Strange how the "jump blues" faded away for the most part after the war. Fats kept it going to a degree and made a good nickle doing it.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After viewing this post, I got an urge to do the Lindy Hop...Sara, could you come here for a few minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see Joyce and me in one of those classy '30s movie-style night clubs drinking champagne and listening to a whole set of Jordan's pre war "jump blues."

    Those classy night club type places are pretty much gone now, methinks. My Mom and Dad used to hang in those sorts of clubs in the wayback and I suppose that's simply because that was what was "in" in their (relative) youth. I never had the opportunity myself, and more's the pity. Close, but no cigar.

    As for Smiley... Ol' Fats ripped him off note for note, dint he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, I like me some delta blues too.
    George, Is the Lindy hop anything like the Bunny hop?
    Buck, I never had the opportunity to go in any of those "classy" clubs either. And according to Wiki, poor Smiley (despite being a great singer) never hit the big time and died relatively young in the mid '60s of stomach cancer.

    ReplyDelete