The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Monday, February 27, 2012

Cookin' With the Blues


I know the blues are about cold-hearted women, whiskey, and money. But, if you listen long enough, you'll hear songs about jelly rolls, buns, fat meat, fish, biscuits, and, oh yeah, even sweet desserts like custard pie.

So, today we're going into Dapper Dan's Blues Kitchen. I've put on my Chef's hat and I've got my ingredients all ready. We gonna cook us up a whole mess of the blues for lunch.

First off, let me tell you what we ain't gonna have.

We ain't gonna have no cornbread and peas, or black molasses up in here. Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry.



Okay, you're right. I guess we can make us some cornbread. How 'bout some buttermilk, and good old turnip greens to go with that cornbread? Bo Carter...



Not everybody likes cornbread so Imma fixin' some biscuits too.

First let me get my double entendre spatula ready, we'll need it with both of these next two blues tunes. Bo Carter again.



"What's on the dessert menu today, Dapper D?"

Custard pie. I don't know 'bout you, but I always liked that good old custard pie. Brownie and Sonny again.


Now, turnip greens and either cornbread or biscuits with buttermilk to drink. And a sweet custard pie for dessert. That makes a nice healthy lunch, dontcha think?

4 comments:

  1. Now that's some home cookin'!

    Apropos o' not much, Led Zep did a tune called Custard Pie. It's good, but it ain't even CLOSE to Terry & McGhee's version.

    Where'd ya get that double-entendre spatula? I needs me one o' those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, I saw that Led Zep tune and listened to it while I was looking up the original. It is good.

    You can't get those D-E spatulas at the Walmart, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite, "Custard Pie"..."'bout the best three things you can sing about"
    Speaking of double-entendre, "Oh Sara, where art thou?"

    ReplyDelete