The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Something's Gotta Give

I'm not the world's greatest hockey fan. I might even be the worst. But thanks to Buck's EIP blog, I knew something big was happening last night in Detroit.

Detroit Red Wings v. Nashville Preds. Hey, that's my hometown team there!

The Wings had a twenty-one game home win streak going. The Preds weren't so hot but had stopped a losing streak by beating the hapless Blackhawks on Wednesday. And going into last night's game they were in pretty good shape for the playoffs at 33-18-6.

A Preds win did not look like a sure thing, but it certainly seemed possible. I might have even laid down a little cash on the team from my hometown. If I were a betting kind of guy. The bill with the picture of Abe Lincoln on it would be my biggest bet so I guess you wouldn't call me a "betting kind of guy."

But, with all the build up about the record, it was kinda sorta like that old Johnny Mercer song, "Something's Gotta Give."

And something did.

Give, that is. And it was the Preds.

That was a close one, but the Wings pulled it out with 5 seconds to go. 2-1. All I can say is that they must be a helluva determined bunch.

BTW, in checking the Tennessean for a local angle on last night's game I saw that the Friday morning story was written by a former student of mine from over 25 years ago. Mike Organ. I've run into him a couple of times since he finished school and know that he's been with the Tennessean since he finished his B.S. He's a good guy and a dang good writer. Way to go Mike!

I'm writing this at just after midnight and I checked Buck's blog to copy the link and dang if he didn't already have a post up celebrating victory. Congrats to the Wings and Buck. And good luck on breaking that multi seasonal record. But wait till the playoffs--we might catch you again. And then...well, it just might be a different story.

Since I referred to it earlier and used it as a title, I guess I'll have to post a tube of you track of "Something's Gotta Give" to wrap this rambling post up.



When an irresistible force such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me
You can bet just as sure as you live
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give

When an irrepressible smile such as yours
Warms an old implacable heart such as mine
Don't say no, because I insist
Somewhere, somehow, someone's gotta be kissed

So, en garde, who knows what the fates might have in store?
From their vast mysterious sky?
I'll try hard ignorin' those lips that I adore
But how long can anyone try?

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight it with all of our might
Chances are some heavenly star-spangled night
We'll find out just as sure as we live
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give

Instrumental

Fight fight fight it with all of your might
Chances are that some heavenly star-spangled night
We'll find out just as sure as we live
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give

Somethin's gotta give
Somethin's gotta give

SPOKEN: Aww, let's tear it up!

1 comment:

  1. A most-excellent tune for the occasion!

    Trotz was correct when he said "great players make great plays," but it could've well been the Preds who made a great play last evening to end it. That's one of the most beautiful thangs about hockey today... the "age of parity" has ensured nearly every game you watch will be exciting and the outcome is almost always in doubt.

    Apropos o' not much... you should have been a fly on the wall (or on the phone) when SN1 and I had our celebratory call last evening. His feed was six seconds ahead of mine, so my phone rang almost immediately after Dats scored. MUCH hootin' and hollerin' followed... the neighbors prolly think I'm insane.

    ReplyDelete