The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lonestar Blues


Lest you misconstrue the previous post's intent (Death and the Purple Robe) and infer we're in a morbid mood here at the Cumberland Post today, I searched around and found this draft in our files. Or should that be draught as in Beer?

Lubbock, TX native Delbert McClinton has enjoyed a successful career as a sideman, singer, and songwriter. McClinton, who wrote Emmylou's hit "Two More Bottles of Wine," is in the TX Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame. His voice has a rough edged bluesman's quality to it. Here's his "Lonestar Blues." It's good for what ails you.


9 comments:

  1. Ah... there's LOTS o' Delbert in my music collection.

    I didn't think the previous post was morbid or untoward in the least. But some folks HAVE accused me o' bein' strange, yanno? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buck. You, strange? I can't imagine why. I liked those death masks too which is why I chose that vid over the others available.

      Delete
    2. O yeah. I figured one thing you might like about this song is that somebody finally found a good use for a Harley chain. Heh.

      Delete
  2. Dan, I saw this post in the Reader yesterday, but waited until "Monday Morning" to watch the video. I KNEW it would wake me up. Good stuff.

    Hey, wasn't that a cameo appearance by Kix Brooks? He's a local boy, ya' know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, yup. That was old Kix. I guess he's done with Dunn now or Dunn was done with him. Is he from Shreveport too? I'm beginning to believe all the country singers have got kin down there.

      Delete
  3. Good "roadhouse" music!
    There are times I'd like to be in some west Texas roadhouse sippin on a cool one and listening to the jukebox. Maybe they would have my favorite song, "I've got tears in my ears from layin down and crying over you." YeeeHaw, Y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I believe you got to watch yourself in those west TX places. Like Delbert sings, his ears are still ringin' from being hit up beside the head with that Harley chain!

      Delete
  4. No Dan, Dunn is from elsewhere. I think a producer arranged their partnership when they were both struggling young fellows in Nashville.

    Helluva good idea, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, that guy deserves a big cut of their earnings!

      Delete