The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Monday, March 5, 2012

Wonderland's "Dust My Broom"

Last week, after Davy Jones of the Monkees died, I was looking up a bunch of stuff about all of the different guys in the group and what happened to them. I found that Mike Nesmith has continued to work in the entertainment business and has produced some artists, including an album by award winning blues singer/guitarist Ms. Carolyn Wonderland. That's her in the pic (by Ron Baker).

Since I've been on a little Blues kick lately, I immediately checked to see what wonderful "Wonderland" stuff is available the You Tube. I picked the blues standard, "Dust My Broom." There's an ongoing debate about whether the song was written by Robert Johnson or Elmore James, but we won't go there. I am gonna play James' version later, but first I want you to hear this lady.

Before you click on the arrow below, gird yourself my friend and tighten that rubber band you use to hold up your socks, cause this lady's gonna wake you up. Notice she don't pick lightly like some girl pickers I know. And she don't play around with that slide, she's slamming that thing around like she means business. As Big Joe Johnson says, "dust my broom" means "I'm puttin' you down, leavin' for good, won't be back no more!"  (There's a Wonderland "Broom" video with better sound quality available on You Tube, but I like this one since you can actually see this woman in action.)


Here's take two on the song, this older one by Mr. Elmore James has better sound quality.


UPDATE: In his comment, Buck has a link to a post he wrote about his first experience with Ms. Wonderland. Follow the link and read and enjoy. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'll be damned. You coulda knocked me over with a feather when I read this...

    This post is the True Story of when I saw Ms. Wonderland and her most-excellent band at the dive-bar to end all dive-bars... in Houston, in the year 2000. One of the best nights out I EVAH had, period, full-stop.

    Thanks for this, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buck, glad to oblige. I read your post on your first encounter with Ms. Wonderland--a great read! Sounds like an almost perfect night! I really like the energy that woman plays with. And like you say, good blues voice.

      (Hope you overlooked all the errors in my post); I put this in the hopper last week and just kinda scanned it quickly this a.m. I think I've cleaned it up now.

      Delete