Stanford scholar Victor Davis Hanson suggests that with the Obama administration we are already on that road to ruin. His excellent article is entitled "The Law, How Quaint." Please read it in its entirety.
Hanson cites numerous recent examples of the Obama administration's pattern of disregarding the law and governing by fiat and decree:
- demonizing and bringing a lawsuit against the state of Arizona for passing their recent illegal immigration law,
- guaranteeing illegal workers protection if they report shorted wages,
- making a mockery of "one man, one vote" to ensure "diversity,"
- ignoring past legal precedent (which capped liability) and bullying BP without a court order or congressional legislation into agreeing to a $20 billion liability settlement,
- using an executive order to overturn the legally determined order of creditors in the Chrysler Corporation bailout,
- and initiating speculation about another executive decree to implement features of cap and trade legislation that congress won't pass.
Federal officials determine a supposed good and then find the necessary way to achieve it. The law be damned. “Diversity,” unions, environmentalism — any of these anointed causes trumps the staid idea of simply following the letter of the law.And Dorothy Rabinowitz says Obama is so much an academic ideologue and so far out of touch with ordinary Americans, he seems like a foreigner or an alien. From her article, "The Alien in the White House,"
A great part of America now understands that this president's sense of identification lies elsewhere, and is in profound ways unlike theirs. He is hard put to sound convincingly like the leader of the nation, because he is, at heart and by instinct, the voice mainly of his ideological class. He is the alien in the White House, a matter having nothing to do with delusions about his birthplace cherished by the demented fringe.These ideological "aliens" and their leader Obama are "snatching" away the nation that we know and love, the nation of free enterprise, equality of opportunity (not outcomes), limited government, enforced borders, and a strong military for defense of our freedoms.
So if we feel a little paranoid these days and very much like those characters in Invasion of the Body Snatchers who have not yet been taken over by the alien pods, maybe it's because the Obama White House is "snatching" away or "changing" everything most Americans believe in. Perhaps that old 1956 film can serve as both a warning to us and a call to action.
My February post on that prescient film follows this introductory one.