The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Monday, December 12, 2011

Howlin' at the Moon

It's a clear, cold night in our part of the Holler. The moon's so bright it might look like that brilliant light everyone's supposed to see as they pass off of this mortal coil. When I took the trash out earlier, the woods in back of the house were quiet except for a solitary howl from a hound somewhere over the hill.

Everyone's asleep here at the Post. Brother Dave's downstairs in the guest bedroom catching some zzz's and recuperating from his hip replacement surgery. Joyce is sleeping peacefully in our bedroom. And I'm sittin' here at the old keyboard listenin' to Hank Sr. "Howlin' at the Moon."

It's been many years since I howled at the moon, but I guess I still got some of them "doggish ways."



4 comments:

  1. ...I guess I still got some of them "doggish ways."

    And don't EVER lose 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a peaceful night there in the holler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, I was gonna say something witty about still being able to wag my tail but it didn't sound quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, It was indeed a peaceful night. According to the home care nurse who came by today, Dave's recuperating well ahead of schedule. During all the rain last week Joyce didn't feel too well (RA and neuropathy) but she's doing a lot better this week. Hope all is well on the Ridge. Interrupt Rae from her new Kindle Fire and tell her we said hi.

    ReplyDelete