The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Monday, January 30, 2012

Don't Wanna Do Nothin' Today

One thing about a job, to keep it you've at least got to be there. You've got to get up in the morning, put on your clothes, and head out the door. You can't lollygag around day after day and never leave the house.

That's probably a good thing. But it does have a down side. You know what I'm talking about. It means that some times you're going to wake up and not want to do nothin'. Still, you know you've got to go in. You're going to go in to work even though you don't really feel like it. And of course your performance that day won't quite be what you or your boss expect of you.

My job as an instructor/professor involved speaking in front of a class 2, 3, sometimes 4 hours a day. I had to have something to say. Many's the day when I felt like I didn't have anything to say, but I went anyway.

In a very small way it was like having a talk show on TV. Except Jay Leno has a team of writers and a band to turn to when things slack off a bit.

Nowadays, since I'm retired, if I don't feel like doing something, it don't get done. But I look at it this away: By not doing something when I don't really feel like it, I'm keeping down the level of half assed work that's done, work that I'm not happy doing. It's a kind of quality control. The way I see it, being a slacker is a way to improve overall efficiency.

This old Hank Williams tune is for all the slackers out there, myself included. We're all just waitin'.

5 comments:

  1. All of us retired "slackers" have earned the right to just do nothing if that's what the day brings. Ain't it grand to just putz away the day and not feel guilty about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just a waitin' fer Dapper D's next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, it's grand indeed. I've been thinking about our planned bluegrass group, the Longhollow Slackers. It's going to be a bit of a challenge to get that thing off the ground if we're slacking off and putzing around every day. Think we ought to change our name? Maybe the LH Jumpers or something to get us moving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, good to hear from you. Hope all is well. I just put up another post you might like, "Birds Know Bluegrass." Joyce says to say thanks to you and Sara for the great B'day card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping down the level of half assed work that's done, work that I'm not happy doing.

    Heh. I've filed that away for future reference.

    OTOH, I find it kinda amazin' that a lot o' people ask me "but... what do you DO all day?" Mostly I just smile and say either "nuthin'" or "whatever I damned well please."

    ReplyDelete