The Cumberland Post

The Cumberland Post
My Backyard, Six Miles from the Cumberland River

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cox Family Sunday

The Cox Family. From Wiki: The singing group comprises father Willard, son Sidney, and daughters Evelyn and Suzanne. Their distinctive sound derives from a combination of Country,bluegrass, and gospel styles....The Cox Family first began performing regularly together at fairs and festivals in 1976[1], though an earlier performance can be heard in the 1974 version of Broken Engagement which appears on Beyond the City (1995). Their career was given a big boost when in the early '90s they met Alison Krauss, who brought them to the attention of Rounder Records
Beautiful Boquet
Standing by the Bedside of a Stranger

7 comments:

  1. Whoever put together the video for "Sweet Bouquet" did a bang-up job. That's got me to thinkin' about headin' over to the Texas Hill Country soon... I love the sight of the bluebonnets in bloom.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed Beautiful Bouquet. I could very clearly discern both the Bluegrass and the Gospel styles. Good post Mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danno posts another song, another 99 cents. (Beautiful Bouquet) from my PC, to my debit card, to the iTunes store, to my PC & iPod. All done electronically in less then a minute (amazing!). The bad news, "20 Years in Nashville" is not available at iTunes (bummer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck, I definitely agree; that was a really nice set of pics somebody put together for "B. Bouquet." Take some pics yourself when you make that trip to TX.

    Cookie, Glad you liked the Cox family. I first heard about them in connection with the movie "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" And then I bought the accompanying music DVD "Down From the Mountain" and saw them there. They are great.

    Scooney, They are the real thing indeed. Nothing at all phony about them and they are all apparently multi talented. I didn't know Daddy Cox could sing until I heard this song.

    George, Glad you liked it and bought it. I don't think that "20 years in nashville" song was ever recorded by anyone and there's only this video put up last year by Guy's son Will. BTW, Guy was a student at VSCC for awhile. That's how I met him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You met Guy at VSCC...What is VSCC?...Is that an acronym for some college or something? Good to hear Joyce is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. George, Must be something in that big Sky and deep Snow that makes you forget a few things. Joyce says hi.

    ReplyDelete